As you can see above, there are some simple principles we can incorporate into our design:
- Try to not make yourself wrong, judge yourself, discourage yourself. You probably will (most of us do), but catch yourself and give yourself compassion, and see if you can remove this wrong-making.
- Aim for small victories. As small as possible.
- Encourage, acknowledge, give gratitude.
- Scale as needed: scale up if you’re really feeling it, scale down by doing less if you’re feeling too busy or tired.
- Have a way to encourage yourself if you start to get off track. Compassion, learning, finding the smallest possible victory to start getting back on track.
- Use others for positive encouragement if it’s helpful.
I encourage you to redesign your habit changes, your attempts to get more disciplined and focused, or any kind of change you’d like to make. Encourage, encourage, encourage!